sexta-feira, 19 de julho de 2013

How my passion for Dire Straits music has begun




            In the 1980s, my older brother listened to Queen, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson and other great artists.
            In 1987, when I was eleven years old, he wisely recommended me:
            ‘’Listen to this tape. It’s very good”.
            That day my life has changed forever. I looked at the light blue cover with a beautiful silver guitar (Later I have known that this was a steel guitar). I had no idea that this beautiful blue sky would give me so much joy.
            “I am going to listen to it now!”
            When I pressed the play key something magical happened.
            “I have already listened to this song! What a cool song! What is this wonderful band? ” I didn’t understand a word of English language at that time, but I loved the melody of So Far Away.
In the next track, the hallucinating guitar and the powerful drums impressed me.
“Great! Who is this drummer? Who is this fantastic guitar player? ” Money for nothing infected me by the curiosity and fascination virus.
            I started dancing in the enthusiastic rhythm of Walk of Life, which is my favourite Dire Straits song ever. Mark, John, Alan, Guy, Terry (Omar Hakin), and Jack has caught me with their perfect sound. A lifetime passion has begun. But still there have been a lot of great things to find out in the brilliant road of the best British rock band I have ever seen in my life. When my English became fluent years later I found out that the lyrics are about a musician who wants to be successful.
            I loved the saxophone in Your Latest Trick. It’s magical and sensual.
            I was amazed by Why worry. I loved the piano, the guitar, the melody and the lyrics. Everything is perfect in that song. It’s my Knopfler mantra. I have used it many times when I am nervous or to calm down my explosive temper. I have listened to this song so many times that I almost erased the tape. I had to buy another copy of Brothers in Arms because I have to listen to my favourite record very often.
            I was intrigued by Ride across the River funny melody which fits the lyrics about a group of guerrillas.
            The Man’s Too Strong impressed me with the hallucinating guitar and drums. The lyrics are a thief’s confession having an ironic tone.
            In One World Mark’s fantastic guitar makes me want to jump from my wheelchair. But all I can do is to dance with my arms and my head to enjoy my favourite record.
             In the title track Brothers in Arms Mark makes the guitar cry. It’s one of the most poetic Knopfler lyrics. It’s such a beautiful hymn against violence and war and it’s the Dire Straits song which always touches me in the bottom of my soul. Brothers in Arms closes the album brilliantly.
            There was no Google or you tube at that time and I became addicted to listening to the record. The next year the collection of hits Money for nothing was released . Brazilian TV programs started to recall Dire Straits history. The old Brazilian channel TV Manchete broadcast one of the Brothers in Arms tour Dire Straits concerts in Wembley and I could see the band for the first time.  I can’t remember exactly in which year it has happened. But I got very crazy and hypnotised by Mark’s magic guitar, John’s precision on the bass, Terry’s powerful drums, Alan’s brilliance and fine touch on the keyboards, Jack's happiness and competence on the rythm guitar, the soft backing vocals  by John, Jack and Guy, who is also a keyboard player and Chris fantastic saxophone. I was more enchanted by Dire Straits music.
            I was so eager to listen to Money for nothing album, so I insisted on my mother on giving me my Christmas present before Christmas Eve in 1988.
            She gave me tape and pressed the play key in a hurry. It was another magical moment.
I was striken by Sultans of Swing fantastic guitar solo, Down to Waterline mysterious and poetic guitar solo, the beauty of Portobello Belle live version, Twisting by the Pool swing, the lyricism, the poetry and the spectacular piano and guitars of Tunnel of love, the delicacy of Romeo and Juliet, the mysterious and jeauousy atmosphere of Where Do You Think You're Going, the different and enchanting sound of Private Investigations in which Mark, John and Alan show such a big talent, the awesome melody, guitar and piano and the epic lyrics of Telegraph Road.  I understood the meaning of the lyrics of these songs little by little, as my English language studies have gotten advanced. It was the first time I listened to these classic Dire Straits songs. I also enjoyed the happiness in Walk of Life and Money for Nothing and the beautiful Brothers in arms, which already have been running in my veins. In Money for nothing insert I found out the names of the albums names of the band lead by Mark Knopfler and the lyrics of the songs, which I had been deciphering with the help from my English teachers.
            In 1991 I was given all this wonderful band discography as my 15th birthday present. I dived deeply in Dire Straits world. The albums Brothers in Arms and Money for Nothing are milestones in my life and have changed it forever. The fever they have provoked on me is good and cureless. It makes my live happier. Listening to Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler music gives me joy, peace and makes me want to visit the UK. If I don’t listen to Dire Straits, I will be more stressed than I usually am. When I am tense, I fall back on Knopfler. Only this guitar genius music calms me down. Because of that, I pay a deserved tribute to Dire Straits.
            I intend to analyse  each  Dire Straits album in my blog whenever I can.


2 comentários:

  1. eu tenho 35 anos, mas ouço Dire Straits desde os meus oito\nove.
    já os vi ao vivo em 1991 por 3 vezes e já vi MK à volta de 15 vezes!!!
    é de facto um dos artistas mais competentes da nossa era, se não o maior!!!
    bjinho
    Telmo Marques

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Que legal, Telmo! Não tive a chance de ver um show do DS ao vivo, mas vi Mark ao vivo em 2001 no Rio de Janeiro. Foi fantástico!

    ResponderExcluir